Once before I made potato gnocchi and I thought they were really good. I also thought they were rather labour intensive, because I am a really lazy cook. However the universe recently ensured that I had a glut of kale, and a glut of potatoes, and I decided I need to make a recipe I had been saving for some time, Spinach Gnocchi Bake. And yes, I know that the dish isn't pretty. But oh my did it taste like a little bit of heaven. Days later and I still can't wait to make it again!
I used the gnocchi recipe from my Italian cookbook, which I will write out here, mainly because it is the only recipe I use from this book. When I made them this time I didn't think they were that difficult at all, and I had enough from a 1/2 recipe to make dinner and freeze 1/2 for dinner later on. Perhaps I've matured as a cook. At any rate I was well chuffed! However I was just doing a web search on making gnocchi and everyone is saying how hard it is. I thought it was dead simple, and they were really good. I think if don't go into a project thinking it will be hard, you will be better off.
To make potato gnocchi my super easy and tasty way:
1kg/2lb potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
60g/2 oz/1/4 cup butter
1 egg, beaten
300g/10 oz/2 1/2 cup plain flour
salt
1) Cook the potatoes in boiling salted water for about 10 minutes or until tender. Drain well.
2) Press the hot potatoes through a sieve (strainer) into a large bowl. I use the back of a large spoon to do this. Add 1 tsp of salt, the butter, egg, and 150g/5oz/1 1/4 cup flour. Mix well to bind together.
3) Turn onto a lightly floured surface and kneed, gradually adding the remining flour, until a smooth, soft, slightly sticky dough is formed.
4) Flour your hands and roll the dough into 2cm/3/4" thick rolls. Cut into 1cm/1/2" pieces. Press the top of each one with the floured prongs of a fork.
5) Bring a large pan of water to a simmer. Add the gnocchi and cook in batches for 2-3 minutes until they rise to the surface. Remove with a slotted spoon and put in a warmed, greased bowl. At this point you can use them for a recipe, or simply pour a sauce over them it is up to you.
When I made these, I made 1/2 a recipe, which gave me about 1lb of gnocchi. I used 1/2 of that to make the recipe above. The rest I froze without cooking, so when I am ready I can just pull them out of the freezer and pop them into the boiling water. Talk about fast!
A few notes about the recipe Spinach Gnocchi Bake. I didn't use spinach, I used kale. I washed the kale, removed their very stiff ribs, and whizzed it in my food processor until it was quite finely diced. I find kale very similar to eating a brillo pad, so I like to break it down first. Then I sautéed it with the onions and it was wonderful. Also, don't skip the Gruyere cheese, it makes the recipe. I DID skip the mozzarella cheese, because that seemed WAY too cheesy for me. I didn't miss it, I don't think you will either.
Like you Andria I've always been a little nervous of trying to make gnocchi thinking it might turn out a little heavy. I've got lots of cavolo nero black cabbage that would make a great sauce with this...
ReplyDeleteThis looks really tasty and sounds easy to make...I'll see if there are any potatoes in my veg box tomorrow...
Deb
I'm old. I've done a lot. I've never made my own gnocchi! Thank you!!
ReplyDeleteBlessings, Debbie