Well our chickens seem to be kicking the egg laying up a notch. It started very gradually, with one a day, then two, and now finally five a day! And even better, four of the chickens are laying where they should in the nesting boxes, and the fifth is laying in a cardboard box we left laying in the garden. It is thick cardboard, but I'm not sure how much longer it can last against the elements. It will be interesting to see where she lays when the box disintegrates.
So here are two very simple things I've done with eggs this week. The first was prompted by my daughter dropping an egg yesterday, and we all felt sad. It was obvious for the kids to collect eggs they would need a basket. Luckily we have quite a few baskets that my Grandma made. We swiped a bunch last summer when we visited, and filled our suitcase with them.
My second project was what to do with an over production of eggs? Today I made an old favourite, pickled eggs. There are loads of recipes out there, and I'm going to bet that none are easier than mine. Here is what I do:
1) boil about 11 eggs (or more if you husband always swipes a few like mine)
2) allow to cool and peel eggs, rinse in water and add to a quart canning jar
3) boil enough plain vinegar to fill the jar to the top, then pour over the eggs
4) seal with lids, and as the heat dissipates it should actually form a seal. Then label with the date and put in the cupboard for a few weeks
5) enjoy!
No comments:
Post a Comment