Friday, 11 November 2011

Our chickens are crazy

Our chickens are crazy.  Let me explain.  I've never known a chicken to be so social, so curious, and so smart.  Yes, I said smart.  A chicken!

Every day I walk the almost 1/2 mile of our driveway to collect the girls from the school bus.  Last week on the way back home we were greeted by Nae Luck McCluck, our tiniest chicken.  She was outside the gate, and walking down the road toward us.  When we got to where she was, she simply turned around and followed us back home.  It was like she was coming to greet the girls, and make sure they made it back safely to give her some scratch---  which they do each day when they get home.

Funny enough, but I forgot about it.  Then, the next day, there she was again, waiting, this time further down the track.  The next day, there were two of them, and so on.  Today there were 4 birds waiting our arrival.  Very odd to say the least, but the girls feel well loved.  Here is a video clip I took when there were two out.  You can see the border collie in Jess has come out, she is trying her hardest to round up the chickens and get them home.



1 comment:

  1. how very sweet!!!! i have a rabbit that follows me for food as well. how lovely that the children are greeted by their chickens!

    ReplyDelete