Monday, 14 November 2011

7 Days (in pictures)

In the spirit of the The Barefoot Crofter, here are my seven days.

 


The girls are in the paper in their Halloween costumes!


One beautiful sunset

 Lovely apple sauce


 Our new compost bin (should I be this excited about compost?)

Ham and veggie pie (I love pies!)

A nature walk


A good laundry day



Here is the recipe for the ham and veggie pie above.  It is from this book:


I can't remember where I bought it, but it has numerous tasty recipes in it.  The pie I made can be made with any kind of meat you like (I've also made chicken and ham, and chicken and veggie), and any kind of vegetables you have in the kitchen.  I love a versatile meal!

100g cooked ham, cubed
vegetables, any you like.  I don't measure but often use, carrots, frozen peas, frozen green beans (broken up to smaller pieces), broccoli, cauliflower, cooked diced potatoes, you get the idea.  I add enough as I think I need to fill out the pie.
150ml double cream
75ml chicken gravy (I use 1/2 a bullion cube in water)
1 tbs thyme
1 tsp cornflour
1/2 tsp English mustard
250g ready-rolled puff pastry
1 medium egg, beaten
ground black pepper

1) preheat oven to 200C, gas mark 6.  In a bowl add the cream, gravy, thyme, cornflour and mustard.  Season with black pepper and mix well.  Add in meat and vegetables.

2)  Spoon pie mixture into a baking dish, I prefer to use the casserole dish in the picture.  It is rather deep, as I add more filling to my pie than the recipe calls for (but you don't need extra sauce).  Then unroll the puff pastry and trim it to fit the dish.  Tuck edges under and press down lightly.  Brush the egg over the pastry, make a slit in the middle to let air escape.  Cook for 30-35 minutes until pastry is golden and puffed up.

5 comments:

  1. Ham and Veggie pie sounds (and looks) delish! Could you share the recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Staci. I've posted the recipe above, it is very tasty, quick, and versatile. My favourite things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for posting the recipe...it does sound easy and versatile, something that is always welcome around here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! Glad you posted the recipe - you can never show yummy looking dishes on the blog without doing that. And compost! Squeal! i get very excited about it. Great days. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you're doing this blog too! I loved the chicken video on your last post, and the photos on this post. Compost is worth getting excited about!

    ReplyDelete